[dundee] Graphics cards, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Thu Mar 20 13:48:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:56:06 +0000, Owen Bowers Adams wrote:

> > I think that we should just use a little bit of common sense and
> > request
> that people, email client permitting, not to top
> > post, especially in large posts with long threads.
>
> Fair enough, In regards to top posting I've never really found it
> that much of an issue to work with and due to the default behaviour
> of some email clients, it's easy enough to overlook. Is there any
> posting style guidelines for the list ? Given the response to a
> breach of netiquette it seems like something useful.

It is generally given on (at least the Linux oriented mailing lists
I follow), that you should trim the replies down and intermingle your
response within the bits your replying to. It keeps the flow of
conversion.

I usually point people to this:
http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

[snip]

> It does seem like Nvidia's been making an effort in the last 18
> months or so. Their documentation has got much stronger which has
> also allowed some significant progress on the nouveau driver front. I
> suppose my big question right now is this:given both companies have
> terrible official drivers and their documentation appears ( at a
> cursory glance ) to be reaching similar levels of maturity, is it
> still right to recommend AMD over Nvidia from a purely AMD are better
> citizens perspective ? It seems that the landscapes changing.

If your looking at in purely those terms then yes. However then you
should probably say to yourself "I will use Intel".

You can also think of it this way.

Nvidia binary driver vs open source radeon driver.

If you want the highest performing card with open source drivers, then
I'm fairly sure you'll still looking at Radeons. Though Intel seem to be
making good progress on the performance front as well and then they've
been doing quite a lot of work with Valve on driver performance.

Andrew