[dundee] Any OpenWRT afficianados around?

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 08:34:19 UTC 2014

Hi Colin,

I've managed to find hardware with 5 ports that's supported but you'll be fine with something that has 4 ports and using a switch. Once you get everything setup (which is usually pretty easy, every using OpenWRT) the router or access point will chug along pretty nicely, occasionally I've set them up with a scheduled reboot but mostly as a paranoia measure. Another option for blocking would be to intercept all DNS requests and redirect them to OpenDNS or another DNS blocking service.

You actually have a few options, if you want to consider something else:

* OpenWRT - https://openwrt.org/ | http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
* DD-WRT - http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index | http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices | http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
* Tomato - http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato | http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware/Supported_Devices
* TomatoUSB - http://tomatousb.org/ | http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types
* Gargoyle - http://www.gargoyle-router.com/ | http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=supported_routers_-_tested_routers

I used to run the old Tomato and now run Gargoyle, mainly because both had the best traffic shaping implementation at the time I've used the others in different deployments though.

There are a couple of attempts at ADSL drivers out there that sort of work, but getting a modem or a single port router that can work in bridged mode (currently I run a TP-Link TD-8816 going into a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND) is probably the best option. Assuming you don't already have a connection with a cable or fibre router.

My one word of slight caution is to pay attention to the hardware versioning as some versions aren't support or require a different flashing procedure. In some cases you might even need to use a speciality shop for a certain version instead of buying from a mainstream retailer.

Kris