[Nelug] Mandrake 9.0 - Internet connection sharing - Shorewall firewall

Peter Wolfendale coyote at polbox.com
Thu Jan 2 16:20:00 UTC 2003

I'm not familiar with MDK 9 and I'm pretty much a novice myself, however
if you just want a quick fix you can use IP Masquerading to share your
internet connection. You need to set up the machine with the internet
connection as a gateway for the other machine in your network settings,
you then need to set up a firewall rule to share the connection. There
are a couple of ways to do this, if you aren't aware there are two
standardized ways for setting up firewall rules under linux, these are
ipchains (which is older) and iptables (the newer and probably better of
the two). I am personally unfamiliar with iptables but I can give you
the commands to put into the terminal that should enable the rule...

ipchains -F
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -i ! eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/24

This needs to be done every time you restart your machine, and I'm
unfamiliar with Mandrake so I don't know how you'd best want to do that.
There may be a standard firewall program which you can use to set
something similar to this up... or if there isn't you may just have to
make a shell script that runs these commands.

Hope this is of some help.

Pete