[Nelug] Mandrake 9.0 - Internet connection sharing - Shorewall firewall

Johng johng at surfshop.net.ph
Sun Jan 5 10:47:01 UTC 2003

Malcolm

I found these Firewall links on  http://www.linuxquestions.org/ I think
they will help you with your firewall setup.

Netfilter+Iptables HOWTO:
LQ search: iptables+howto,
Linuxguruz.org,
Netfilter.org Packetfiltering HOWTO,
Linuxsecurity.com Iptables tutorial,
Andreasson's Iptables tutorial,
Iptables Connection tracking.

FAQ: Firewall Forensics (What am I seeing?),
Linux Firewall and Security Site,
Auditing Your Firewall Setup (old, still usefull).

I tried Shorewall but noticed people reporting lots of problems. I have
now setup my old pentium computer as a firewall/server and run Mandrake
SNF. SNF was very easy to set up.

Johng

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 04:02, Malcolm Collins wrote:
> I have watched this group for sometime, but being a complete novice I have
> never had anything to comment on, nor really sure of how it all works.
> However I am STUCK on internet connection sharing.   I cannot get the damn
> thing to work.  I have two machine running MDK9 on a cross over cable
> connected to eth0.  Internet connection on ppp0 modem dial up connection.  I
> have tried the control centre set up and it still doesn't work.   I have
> never been able to get it to work, and after trying all over Christmas I am
> quite simply going mad.
> Ping both ways on both machines OK  Static IP's 192.168.1.1  and 192.168.1.2
> Mount folder for sharing OK.  So network functions.
> I have some feeling that it is to do with the /etc/sysconfig/drakeconnect.conf
> on the remote machine but do not knwo how to check it or what I am looking
> for.
>
> Would this be the place to ask for help?
> If so what next?
>
> Malcolm Collins
> North Yorkshire

Johng <johng at surfshop.net.ph>