[Nelug] Hello

Paul Hutchinson paulhutchinson at warpmail.net
Tue Jul 1 21:12:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:35:31 +0100
Si <simon.oldham at sicom-systems.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Si and I am due to move from Wolverhampton to Newcastle in three
> weeks to work for 12 months, as the third year of my BSc (hons) Computer
> Science sandwich degree. I stumbled across your LUG in Linux Format and added
> myself to the mailing list, although as yet I have recieved no mail (?) - so
> this e-mail is a test as well as an introduction.
>
> I currently run Mandrake 9.1 and would definately be considered a novice. I am
> a reasonable C/C++ programmer and I would like to learn more about the unix
> specific application of the language(s) - I gather that there are unix
> libraries that allow the programmer to interact with the operating system
> (sort of like <windows.h> when using WIN32 API?)  - please put me right if
> this is not the case!  I have also just started to learn bash scripting and I
> am very impressed with what can be achieved with a few simple commands, so
> this is now an area of interest as well.
>
> I am afraid that I may not contribute much, due to my lack of knowledge, but I
> would like to be in contact with other linux users in the north east and pick
> the brains of those wiser than I. I am not sure how far Durham is from
> Newcastle (about 300 miles from Wolverhampton!) but I will endeavour to get
> over there.

Hi Simon,
I have just recently signed up to this mailing-list too, and it is very low traffic.

Anyway, I am no ace at programming, but one bit of advice that has never failed me is "Buy the O'Reilly book about whatever you want to learn". Thats seems to do the trick for me. I will do my best to answer any other linux questions you have though, as I have quite a bit of experience with day to day running and maintenance.

Anyway, the main point of this message is the LUG. Durham is about 20miles from Newcastle. But there are Tyneside LUG, which would be nearer. I'm afraid I don't have a link, but google should be able to help.

Hope it works out ok,
Paul