[Nelug] Oracle on Linux

Phil Britton phil at wild-north.org
Mon Jul 7 22:02:01 UTC 2003

simon.oldham at sicom-systems.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know anything about installing Oracle on Linux (Mandrake 9.1)?
> Although the problem may not be Oracle specific.
>
> Ok, here's what is happening. I have been using my Uni Oracle account (over
> Telnet via an intermediate server - Telnet from my home to 'Uni server A'
> then Telnet from 'Uni server A' to 'Uni server B') to mess about with PL/SQL.
> However, when it comes to web interfaces, this system is no good because I
> need to access the Oracle server directly thru a browser, and this is not
> possible (as far as I can see ,because access to 'Uni server B' is blocked
> outside of the Uni).
<snip>

and another thing...

Telnet !!!!!

Someone should come round and hit the sysadmins with a large
pile of O'Reilly books about security :-)

Actually if they are running Telnet you could possibly root one of the
boxes and set up port forwarding....  no, forget I said that. I don't
want to be charged with encoruaging computer crime :-)

cheers

Phil