[Nelug] Oracle on Linux

Richard Mortimer - Volume Systems Products Richard.Mortimer at sun.com
Thu Jul 10 11:33:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 19:55, simon.oldham at sicom-systems.co.uk wrote:
> Ok, here's what is happening. I have been using my Uni Oracle account (over
> Telnet via an intermediate server - Telnet from my home to 'Uni server A'
> then Telnet from 'Uni server A' to 'Uni server B') to mess about with PL/SQL.
> However, when it comes to web interfaces, this system is no good because I
> need to access the Oracle server directly thru a browser, and this is not
> possible (as far as I can see ,because access to 'Uni server B' is blocked
> outside of the Uni).

Can you connect to Uni server A via ssh? If so (and the server is
configured to allow port forwarding) you could do

ssh -L 8080:serverB:80 serverA

then you can point your browser at  localhost:8080 and that will give
you access to the webserver on serverA. Of course you might need to
tweak the port numbers a bit i.e. 80 needs to be whatever the oracle web
frontend is on. and 8080 needs to be a free port on your local machine.

Of course the Uni sysadmins may not allow port forwarding 'cos it allows
you to open up a bit wide tunnel but you never know.

Richard Mortimer               |  Email: Richard.Mortimer at sun.com
Sun Microsystems Inc.          |  Phone: +44 (0)1207 585514 (x10614)
Medomsley Road, Consett,       |  Fax:   +44 (0)1207 585592
Co. Durham, DH8 6TJ, UK.       |