[Nelug] Lindows anyone?

Martin Ward Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk
Sat Nov 8 08:48:04 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 29 Oct 2003 7:26 pm, Peter Mains wrote:
> From what I've gathered, Lindows seems
> to be classed as "Noddy's" Linux by
> many. Does anyone have any experience
> of this? Is it a distribution which
> might reduce my 'linux learning curve'
> gradient? I would welcome any advice.

I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on two machines (a desktop
and a laptop) and was impressed with the ease of installation
and the quality of hardware detection. In both cases
it detected the network card, set up a network connection
and offered to download updates at the end of the install phase.

The only problem I had was that after installing I went into MandrakeUpdate
and installed the "Bugfix" and "Normal" updates: which were a bunch
of kde packages. These appear to have messed up the KDE installation
somehow (in the end I redid the install and selected only the "Security"
updates).

--
			Martin

Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/ Erdos number: 4