[Nelug] Gentoo Linux & Kernel Panic

Steven Babylon722 at EpsilonEridani.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 13:22:00 UTC 2003

On booting the new install the system boots, loads the kernel then the error
message: "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init". This appears right after
the USB system is started ie:

uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 9
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
---- Detected UHCI hardware
---- Scanning for hid...usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech at suse.com>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
---- Detected hid hardware
---- Scanning for usb-storage...Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
---- Detected usb-storage hardware
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

I only have a MS USB Keyboard and Mouse pluged into the USB.
There is no dir /etc/rc.d where else could the init scripts be?