[Nelug] Linux on a laptop

CBates cibates at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 10:03:59 UTC 2004

Hi Martin,

The company that I own (Imitza Systems) is looking to
supply laptops with Linux pre-installed shortly. For
all we can currently supply Laptops with Linux, some
of the hardware is not supported 100%, and they also
come with a Windows XP license, pushing up the cost.
If everything goes to plan then we will be supplying
pre-installed laptops running Linux from the begining
of June. The problem is that laptop manufacturers are
not keen on commiting hardware to running on Linux,
due to the problems seen in the past around power
management, modem, and mobile processors.

In the meantime I'm not really sure of any other
companies offering it. I know HP are keen on using
Linux, but from what I've seen they are only offering
Linux on desktops in the USA as far as I'm aware.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/ is a good source if you
have a laptop in mind and also have a section on how
to obtain a refund for your unused copy of XP,
although I think that this is a case of proving the
point rather than doing any good in practice as it is
both long winded and I'm not sure how it would work in
the real world.

Good luck with your laptop, and if anyone is aware of
a laptop manufacturer that offers Linux support I'm
interested as well.

Cheers,

Craig.