[Nelug] Samba and XP

Richard Patterson richard at rp2k.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 13:14:19 UTC 2004

Hi,

I use XP Pro on 2 PCs at home, both connecting to 2 different Samba
servers. I don't have them configured in a domain...

XP seems to work fine if you have a working DNS, XP tends to use DNS to
resolve computer names...

The only other thing to watch out for is that you will either have to
configure samba as a domain controller to create a domain for the PCs to
log into, or you will need to create local user accounts on each PC,
either way, you will need to visit each pc.

The way forward depends on the administration model you have in mind,
from the domain point of view, you only need to create accounts on the
Samba server, and you'll be able to login from any pc.

I'm not sure as to the status of Samba's Active Directory support, but I
know it can create an NT4 style domain.

If you don't use it as a domain, you will need to create an account on
the Samba server and the PC(s) the user will log into. If you plan to
have 27 users being able to log into 27 PCs, you will need to create a
total of 756 account (27 accounts on each PC, and 27 on the Samba server).

I wouldn't say that 25 (or 27) PCs is a large environment, but if you
are planning on completely removing the Netware environment, then you
may have quite a bit of work to do, especially if you have networked
printers.

Hope this helps

Richard Patterson