[Nelug] ADSL 4 Linux

Andrew Hatch andrew.hatch at bluespace.com
Thu Jul 29 14:05:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been used to a cable modem supplied by NTL, and this being
hooked up directly to my Linux box which acts as router, mail
gateway, BIND server, etc.  The great thing about this config is
that the ethernet interface on the linux box is the public IP
address - the cable modem acts as exactly that - just a modem, not a
router.

I'm now moving to ADSL - and I'd like an identical configuration.
I've just ordered a wires-only package so I can find and buy
suitable hardware.  Does anybody else use an ADSL connection in a
similar way to the above?  I'm after a hardware recommendation that
will allow my linux box to recieve the public IP address, and not be
hidden behind NAT/etc.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Hatch