[Nelug] Reading GNU dbm files

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Fri Jun 4 10:58:12 UTC 2004

Hi

I've recently installed some linux-based network monitoring servers at
work (as we've got a few spare PCs and there isn't usually much else
to do on night-shifts). So the company's acquired nagios[1] for alerting
on services, cpu state etc, mrtg[2] to graph network traffic, CPU and
disc space, and (just this week) ntop[3] to show which computers network
traffic is passing between.

Ntop captures network packets and stores some data in a set of GNU dbm
files, which I'd like to read to help me understand how ntop works. I
know that there's a dbm library for C, and perl can handle dbm files,
but are there any front-end programs that can handle dbm files (just
to save me the work of writing something).

[1] http://www.nagios.org/
[2] http://www.mrtg.org/
[3] http://www.ntop.org/

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM at .patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply