[Nelug] Re: Advice on setting up a home server (Daniel Tweedy)

Nick Davis nick.davis at alertyou.net
Mon Apr 18 10:04:18 UTC 2005

Daniel,
   I have found Fedora + webmin straightforward.
Debian I found pain in the *** cos loads of old or broken packages.
Others in this user group like Craig, have found SUSE friendly.

mysql you can find the right rpms if u look around. fedora.redhat.com or
mysql 's own site. Don't forget to get ALL the rpms  - mysql client.
server, and tools. This could be your problem?

Problem with webmin is too small user-base 2 find and fix bugs. I find
it OK if u don't do too many unusual things. I like its handling of perl
module installation, mysql and DNS configuration. U can get virtualmin 4
virtual hosts but beware of bugs in IP-based hosting.

http://bluequartz.org/  is the old Cobalt sysadmin GUI ported to Fedora.
Looks interesting?

Nick