[Nelug] Redhat Fedora Core 4 - First Impressions

Mick Walker mwalker at codegurus.org
Tue Jun 21 21:41:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 12:15 +0100, Richard Mortimer wrote:

> > That was a really good article.
> >
> > Apart from the fact I would never consider using Linux in a production
> > environment, let alone red hat, I really enjoyed hearing your views. And
> > as a lot of my students (1st year BSc Hons Computer Science Students)
> > tend to favour redhat (I don't know why), I will gladly pass the
> > original email onto them with your permission.
> >

> If you don't mind I would be grateful if you could take the time to explain
> a little about your statement above. What are your reasons for not using
> Linux in a production environment and possibly more interestingly what
> would/do you use.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

I personally would not choose to use Linux in a production environment,
due to its lack of a centralised development tree. I want to know that
the people whom wrote my kernel, also wrote much of the core system.
IMHO (and only mine) to many cooks can spoil the broth.
I personally use *BSD, and I like the fact that the same people whom
work on the core kernel code, also develop much of the base system.
Of course *BSD is still as vulnerable as Linux to user land
exploitation. Which is why I personally use customised rule sets from
my /etc/make.conf which pipe any programs I compile through flawfinder
(http://www.dwheeler.com/flawfinder/).

As I said this is only my opinion, and it is not a attempt to troll the
list, it was simply a observation.

Regards
Mick