[Nelug] Redhat Fedora Core 4 - First Impressions

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue Jun 21 22:52:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 22:35 +0100, Mick Walker wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 12:15 +0100, Richard Mortimer wrote:

> I personally would not choose to use Linux in a production environment,
> due to its lack of a centralised development tree. I want to know that
> the people whom wrote my kernel, also wrote much of the core system.
> IMHO (and only mine) to many cooks can spoil the broth.
An interesting point of view. I must admit to getting a little fed up
with each different distro doing things slightly differently in the core
system. That said I tend to stick to just one distro these days (Debian)
just to make my life easier (it also support all of the architectures,
especially x86 & Sparc, that I'm interested in.

> I personally use *BSD, and I like the fact that the same people whom
> work on the core kernel code, also develop much of the base system.
> Of course *BSD is still as vulnerable as Linux to user land
> exploitation. Which is why I personally use customised rule sets from
> my /etc/make.conf which pipe any programs I compile through flawfinder
> (http://www.dwheeler.com/flawfinder/).

> As I said this is only my opinion, and it is not a attempt to troll the
> list, it was simply a observation.
Thanks. I was/am genuinely interested in your opinions. The group is
(and I hope continues to be) made up of a wide variety of people who use
other operating systems but who have an interest in Linux.

Historically my background has primarily been in Solaris and SunOS (I
worked for Sun for nearly 8 years). I've always been quite comfortable
with the centralised development model that Sun has (an outsider
probably wouldn't have the same view). Having seen (and lived through!)
the internal procedures for making sure that junk does not end up there
I can say that if I had to choose one OS on stability/reliability I
would very likely choose Solaris.

That said I haven't really used Solaris in anger in the past year but
I'll be interested to see what happens now that OpenSolaris has been
made available, http://www.opensolaris.org.

Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>