[Nelug] fc4 on via c3 processor

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 10:53:06 UTC 2005

Daniel Tweedy wrote:
> I have a mini-itx box running fedora since fc2, however I have always
> had a problem of it randomly rebooting I did fix the problem on fc2 by
> means of getting the i586 kernel as suggested by the fedorafaq guide,
> this did fix the problem hoever I have the problem again on fc4 tried
> the same guide but getting the fc4 i586 kernal but this doesn't seem to
> of fixed the problem I was doing yum update when it rebooted the last time.
>
> specs are
>
> EPIA M10000
> VIA C3 Processor
> 1GB RAM
> Everything else on board.

I think your problem is nothing to do with i586/i686 compatibility; IIRC
Epia M10000's have Nehemiah cores, and so support the CMOV instruction
and should be able to run i686 code.

[Technically all C3 processors are i686, but there's a bug in gcc which
means that it takes i686 to mean CMOV is supported, when it's actually
optional for i686 processors]

Random reboots often indicate failing hardware (and can be a right pain
to diagnose).  Have you tried running memtest on your system for a few
hours to see if it's the memory that's flaky?  And does anything show up
in syslog that could give a clue as to what's causing the reboots.

- olly