[Nelug] Temporary venue requirements

Douglas Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 15:47:33 UTC 2006

Richard Patterson wrote:
> It would be much better if we could find a commercial place to meet...

I asked around and one place that might be a possibility is the Woodman
Inn in Gilesgate. I believe a chess club sometimes meet there. In the
interests of NELUG I popped in yesterday lunchtime for a reccie. The
beer is fantastic. Non-smoking in the bar area and then it snakes round
to a pool table and a longish narrow (smoking) area at the back. I was
chatting to the barmaid and she said she'd seen the chess players in
this bit. You can't book it or anything. I explained about NELUG and she
said the owner wasn't around but was due back soon. I drank more beer
and waited but the owners didn't show.

It's a possibility I suppose. I couldn't see any sockets for plugging in
kit and it's a bit rough and ready. I didn't really know what to make of
it. Probably a bit small to be honest and you certainly couldn't reserve
any space. There's no separate room. It might be worth investigating if
we can't get anywhere else.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/87/8722/Woodman_Inn/Durham
http://www.pub-explorer.com/olpg/woodmaninn/durham/index.htm
> Out of interest, if we needed to pay for a room somewhere, would people
> be willing to contribute? I'm not sure how much it would cost...

Yep that'd be fine by me.

Dougie