[Nelug] Music manager / Jukebox

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 18:57:58 UTC 2006

Richard Patterson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good collection manager like the ones on that
> less popular O/S?

I play around with what's out there every now and then, but I always end
up back on xmms. It's not perfect, and in my current config it hangs
every day or so (as we discussed :-; Your tip works fine). It doesn't
lend itself to sorting my genre, artist, etc so probably not for you. I
keep coming back to it because I like to use keyboard shortcuts or
remote commands. Stephen's mentioned mpd and I might take another look
at that sometime as it was demo'd by someone in the Preston/Lancashire
LUG when I lived over that way (http://snipurl.com/m95l).

I really liked some of the ideas in amarok and will probably revisit it
at some time in the future. At the moment it's buggy and unresponsive
and has very poor hot-key configurability, but it might get better, or
it might end up as bloatware. I'll check in 6 month's time to find out.
At the moment it doesn't even appear as an available debian package in
testing so dunno what the score is there.

Dougie