[Nelug] Backup over network. Which? What?

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Sun Oct 8 21:11:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 13:22 +0100, Peter Holmes wrote:
> Need some input here.  I have five PCs running both that-other-OS(?)
> and LINUX.
> Lately I have become concerned about data security.
> I have acquired a 2.4GHz Intel box with two 250GB HDDs and run it for
> a couple of months checking hardware is OK.  It is intended as the
> network backup machine.
>
> Which backup software do you recommend?  I did some digging and AMANDA
> seems to be about the best though do I want to spend a week setting it
> up?  I also have some minor concerns about AMANDA's long term
> free-as-in-beer situation ... note the number of ads seen around the
> net on 'about.com', etc.
> There's also AFBACKUP, BACULA and MONDO plus a few more but support
> appears thin.

Bacula is the way to go! I've been using it for a few years and it works
great. The file daemon works on Linux, *nix and winslows. Indeed in the
latest beta version the whole lot works on winslows (not that I'd be
recommending it here).

Bacula will backup to tape, file (plus DVD support pretty much works in
Beta - I've been supplying lots of fixes to that in the past couple of
months).

The online manual is great and gives you pretty much all of the
information that you need to configure it.

Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>