[Nelug] Backup over network. Which? What?

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Oct 9 09:21:45 UTC 2006

  _____

From: nelug-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:nelug-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Peter Holmes
Sent: 09 October 2006 09:26
To: North East Linux User Group mailing list
Subject: Re: [Nelug] Backup over network. Which? What?

Thanks to all for all the input.

The bottom line appears to be:
Bacula - do I also need to install on the windoze machines?

Yes, you install the file daemon on it. It is a simple installer. Just
download from sourceforge and it'll set itself up.

Needs SQL server also?

Yes but you can choose from the following: mysql, postgresql and sqlite. I
personally use sqlite but it isn't recommended if you have lots of
data/files. You need plenty of space for the database (a gig or so) but it
really is a good solution.

Bacula got a GOOD write up in LINUX Format over a year ago: 9/10. Is SSL now
incorporated?

The new version that is in testing (1.39 beta IIRC) has it. The current
stable version 1.38 doesn't (then again looking at the manual it may have
it). As I remember the Beta version will also do data encryption on the
client (file daemon) side so that only the client can decode the data from
the client. If you need any of these and are in the mood to experiment then
I know that they will appreciate feedback on the current Beta.

Ubuntu server with RAID 2(?)
Apache, (My)SQL, PHP ... resources, resources.

All the information you need is in the manual

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/index.html  (1.38 manual)

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/What_is_Bacula.html  (A good overview of
things)
http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/System_Requirements.html (Tells you the
requirements but it reads more like a compile time requirements than
runtime).
http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Windows_Version_Bacula.html (The stuff for
the windows version)
http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Bacula_TLS.html (TLS / SSL)
http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Dealing_with_Firewalls.html (Firewall
settings)

If you are feeling brave the dev/BETA version manual is at

http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/index.html

Note Beta is actually pretty stable - I've been using it in production for a
month or so.

TYA, Peter H.

===> On 8 Oct 2006 at 22:10, Richard Mortimer  wrote :-

> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 13:22 +0100, Peter Holmes wrote:
> > Need some input here.  I have five PCs running both that-other-OS(?)
> > and LINUX.
> > Lately I have become concerned about data security.
> > I have acquired a 2.4GHz Intel box with two 250GB HDDs and run it for
> > a couple of months checking hardware is OK.  It is intended as the
> > network backup machine.
> >
> > Which backup software do you recommend?  I did some digging and AMANDA
> > seems to be about the best though do I want to spend a week setting it
> > up?  I also have some minor concerns about AMANDA's long term
> > free-as-in-beer situation ... note the number of ads seen around the
> > net on 'about.com', etc.
> > There's also AFBACKUP, BACULA and MONDO plus a few more but support
> > appears thin.
> >
> Bacula is the way to go! I've been using it for a few years and it works
> great. The file daemon works on Linux, *nix and winslows. Indeed in the
> latest beta version the whole lot works on winslows (not that I'd be
> recommending it here).
>
> Bacula will backup to tape, file (plus DVD support pretty much works in
> Beta - I've been supplying lots of fixes to that in the past couple of
> months).
>
> The online manual is great and gives you pretty much all of the
> information that you need to configure it.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>

  _____

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centre/*http://uk.
security.yahoo.com/> Yahoo! Security Centre.