[Nelug] DVD drive causing linux to crash

Richard Patterson richard at helpquick.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 22:12:10 UTC 2006

Richard Patterson wrote:
> Aleksander Helgaker wrote:
>
>> I've tried installing several different distros on my computer, but so
>> far they have all had the same problem. They crash when I insert a cd.
>> Any kind of cd. Music cd, data cd, dvd, etc. I can boot from cd's and
>> install linux, but after that, if I insert a disk it will crash. I'm
>> also unable to boot live cd's. They usually only make it about half
>> way through the loading.
>>
>> I've only had this computer for a few months, maybe less. Just
>> wondering if anyone might know what the problem is. Reading a disk
>> works perfectly in Windows. I'm using a Lite-on SHW-160P6S PP90.
>>
> Hi Aleksander,
>
> Sounds like it could be a DMA or IRQ issue, if you could send a copy of
> the output from dmesg (without inserting a cd), that might help.
>
> Also try booting with the extra kernel command line "ide=nodma", see if
> it still crashes.

Also, Please let us know about the other hardware, such as motherboard,
CPU, memory, Hard Drives (Especially SATA / PATA), how it's all
connected (Is the CD drive the only device on the controller, or is it
shared with a hard drive, etc.

As much information as possible please... Too much is better than not
enough. (send it private if you want)

Richard Patterson          HelpQuick Limited
Tel: 0191 2582888          Fax: 0191 6408666
Jabber chat:  richard at jabber.helpquick.co.uk
Web:     http://www.helpquick.co.uk