[Nelug] DVD drive causing linux to crash

Richard Patterson richard at helpquick.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 21:28:47 UTC 2006

Aleksander Helgaker wrote:
> I've tried installing several different distros on my computer, but so
> far they have all had the same problem. They crash when I insert a cd.
> Any kind of cd. Music cd, data cd, dvd, etc. I can boot from cd's and
> install linux, but after that, if I insert a disk it will crash. I'm
> also unable to boot live cd's. They usually only make it about half
> way through the loading.
>
> I've only had this computer for a few months, maybe less. Just
> wondering if anyone might know what the problem is. Reading a disk
> works perfectly in Windows. I'm using a Lite-on SHW-160P6S PP90.
Hi Aleksander,

Sounds like it could be a DMA or IRQ issue, if you could send a copy of
the output from dmesg (without inserting a cd), that might help.

Also try booting with the extra kernel command line "ide=nodma", see if
it still crashes.

HTH

Richard Patterson          HelpQuick Limited
Tel: 0191 2582888          Fax: 0191 6408666
Jabber chat:  richard at jabber.helpquick.co.uk
Web:     http://www.helpquick.co.uk