[Nelug] Do Routers go Bad?

Douglas Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 16:48:22 UTC 2007

Richard Mortimer wrote:

> [...]
Sometimes.

>  If so then
> that suggests some problem with the wiring/filters.
I agree. But when I try different filters (three tried, 4 if you include
the one on the baseplate) the problem persists. At the moment the master
line box has the front off so that I'm dealing with the main socket and
all internal wiring disconnected. I have tried various combinations of
filters. To be honest I expected it to be a filter but it's pointing
more to the router, phone, or line.

When I go off-hook I can hear hiss. When I switch off the router the
hiss disappears.  I've tried it with different handsets too.

There is a bit of history to this issue and I'm deeply suspicious of
some of the timings; e.g. work on LLU at the local exchange, but I'm
trying to take a structured approach and eliminate variables so that I
make some progress.

Dougie