[Nelug] Do Routers go Bad?

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 11:47:02 UTC 2007

Does the router disconnect when you get/make a phone call? If so then
that suggests some problem with the wiring/filters. My parents had that
problem when they connected their answering machine directly to the line
rather that through a filter.

> I've noticed hissing on the line which dissapears when  I
> disconnect the
> router. So I tried three spare filters and the hiss is still
> there when
> the router is connected. It didn't always do this. I'm reluctant to
> think that the router is failing, and think it's unlikely it
> would fail
> 'gradually'. It's a Zyxel Prestige P652R-11 (which is
> discontinued now).

Again that may suggest that you have somehow managed to get a phone
that isn't filtered from the ADSL traffic.

Richard