[Nelug] Talks at meetings

Ian MacKenzie imack at operamail.com
Wed Sep 5 23:48:44 UTC 2007

Dougie Nisbet wrote:

>I've never really bought into this
>beginner/intermediate/advanced thing. Linux, and importantly, all the
>applications that can run on it, is such a big field that I think
>that there are niches all over the place where a person may have
>expertise in one field, but be hopeless in other areas

Yes, that's quite true; but when you feel yourself to be at the newbie stage [and for some of us that's quite a long time....] it seems that almost everything falls into the 'much more advanced than me' category.
So looking at a 'menu' that says this talk is pitched at beginner level both in terms of subject, and in terms of how the subject is presented --  that would have real appeal for me, and I imagine others like me who remain invisible. I know there will be bits of other talks/demos that will be accessible; but just look at the titles being discussed..

* Port forwarding and using tightvnc to remotely access your home desktop.
* WSL and the FermaT program transformation system :-)

I know/think the fist of them just means there's some neat way of accessing my home computer when I'm away on business or on holiday so I might be prepared to sit with you in happy bafflement...
but tightvnc is a bit worrying at the best of times and as for WSL...!

All I'm saying is that lower grade linux users, as they perceive themselves, might be encouraged by a grading system.
If all newbies were to come to newbie+intermediate sessions, and all intermediates were to come to all intermediate+advanced sessions, would it have an effect on average attendance?

A couple of contributors have suggested that they might be willing to pay some kind of fee for some tangible benefit: I'd be with them.
And after a few sessions at 'my' level, and having dipped my toes into 'intermediate' waters, I might feel actually
>that there are niches all over the place where a person may have
>expertise in one field, but be hopeless in other areas
and so be further encouraged to wade deeper into the river of Linux.

Your idea of getting to grips with 'broken kit' would be attractive at every level I'm sure - we all have bits and pieces that don't quite work with Linux/with each other, and having other thoughts on how to get them working would be helpful, and educational.
And a venue with space and an internet connection would be great...

Ian