[Durham] Meeting reminder: 19:30 Durham rowing club, in the bar

Ian MacKenzie ian.mackenzie at inbox.com
Thu Dec 22 11:14:49 UTC 2011

Almost a full house!
And thanks to the hive for getting my laptop functioning. There was a wifi problem, and a bigger problem with getting updates from the linuxmint repositories: although I could get on to the wired internet at home, the update requests always generated a bunch of 'failed to fetch' notices, and failure to resolve the repository addresses. The wifi problem related to the combination of Realtek ethernet and Broadcom network controllers, a known problem on Compaq Presario CQ56 models:
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
Initial focus was on the Realtek chip, but the Broadcom doofer needed a driver , and then a firmware update before it would play ball.
The problem with updates seems to be domestic-router related: Olly had a workaround for that - reset the dns IPv4 to the google numbers which seems to work fine now that I have it home.
Thanks guys!
Ian