[Durham] Meeting reminder: 19:30 Durham rowing club, in the bar

Olly Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Thu Dec 22 23:35:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:14:41 -0800
Ian MacKenzie <ian.mackenzie at inbox.com> wrote:

> The wifi problem related to the combination of Realtek ethernet and
> Broadcom network controllers, a known problem on Compaq Presario CQ56
> models:
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
> 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>
> Initial focus was on the Realtek chip, but the Broadcom doofer needed
> a driver , and then a firmware update before it would play ball.

AFAICT it wasn't any incompatibility between the Realtek ethernet and
Broadcom wifi hardware, it was just the when you'd installed Linux Mint
it hadn't installed the necessary firmware for the Broadcom chip.  It
was just a matter of finding the right package for the firmware.

> The problem with updates seems to be domestic-router related: Olly had a
> workaround for that - reset the dns IPv4 to the google numbers which
> seems to work fine now that I have it home.

Glad the hear that it's working now.  I'm slightly curious as to what
your router was doing that broke the DNS setup, but if it's working now
then I'd leave it as is.

- olly