[Durham] Shortcuts to system recovery

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 19:28:41 UTC 2011

Right. 320GB drive in laptop didn't like being dropped and is throwing
up media errors. Tried reinstall and fscks but no joy. But I can still
read it and have taken backups of my system. I have an Ubuntu install
dualbooting with XP. In the past I've restored systems by simply copying
a tarball for the (Windows 98) partition and tweaking LILO. In these
posh GRUB days I'm not sure how that would work.

Anyway, I'm just finishing the tar backup of my XP partition and I've
noted the partitioning information. Soon I shall be taking out the
duff'ish drive and putting in the new one. Same model. a 320GB WD. I'm
going to try the short-cut method first. i.e. Re-create the partitions
using Ubuntu live CD then copy the data back for my Ubuntu and XP
installs from a USB drive. Then presumably I have to do something clever
to re-create my GRUB files and my MBR. I'm not there for a bit though.

Will this work? Gotchas? Tips?

Thanks,

Dougie