[Durham] Shortcuts to system recovery

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Mon Feb 14 20:21:51 UTC 2011

On Monday 14 Feb 2011 at 19:25, Dougie Nisbet <dougie at highmoor.co.uk> wrote:
> Anyway, I'm just finishing the tar backup of my XP partition and I've
> noted the partitioning information. Soon I shall be taking out the
> duff'ish drive and putting in the new one. Same model. a 320GB WD. I'm
> going to try the short-cut method first. i.e. Re-create the partitions
> using Ubuntu live CD then copy the data back for my Ubuntu and XP
> installs from a USB drive. Then presumably I have to do something clever
> to re-create my GRUB files and my MBR. I'm not there for a bit though.

I have had good results moving backing up and restoring NTFS partitions,
and moving them from one disk to another, using ntfsclone.

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc