[Durham] new member, linux san, linux roles

Rick Trotter rick.trotter at teescode.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 20:18:38 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,

There are a lot of different companies using a plethora of
distributions and applications on them. In three different businesses
I've worked with three distinct distributions and application sets
alone.
A lot of systems are either Debian or Fedora based nowadays - you're
pretty much guaranteed to work on one or the other nowadays.
Most applications are built on web interfaces nowadays so an
understanding of some sort of coding (PHP/Perl for backend , XHTML/
JQuery/CSS for frontend) is useful. PHP5, Apache & MySQL are most
common in my experience.

In terms of iSCSI stuff, it can be bolted directly into the OS (it's
a nice easy apt-get and then a little bit of configuration on Debian
systems). If you're wanting GUI stuff then there are a couple of Open
SAN implementations out there - a quick google will throw up loads of
information (try openfiler).
VMWare will bolt into Linux nicely and you can get vmotion type
things happening between boxes if you set it up.
The key thing is to have a good old sit down and read of some of the
information and play with some of the technology.
Happy hacking!

Rick Trotter
rick.trotter at teescode.co.uk