[Durham] file corruption

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Apr 2 23:38:32 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 22:45, Andrew Glass wrote:
> Hi again! :P
>
> Have many of you used afp namely netatalk and avahi to advertise shares to macs?
>
> Ive noticed a lot of files that i transferred to my server are corrupt? Which concerns me a little, well a lot....
>
> In my afpd.conf file within /etc/netatalk I had set the last option to use - -udp for transfers rather than tcp.  I did this to aid in speed however I believe that by using udp due to the lack of error checking etc I may have caused this problem myself....  Has anybody else had this issue?  Could that have been the cause?

UDP vs TCP should not make a difference. Both are protected by
multiple layers of checksums so the packets should get dropped
before they make it anywhere near a disk.

You mentioned netatalk. Its a good while
(coming on for 20 years) since I used that style of networking
and I doubt that it is that buggy. But I've no experience so it
may be.

Other thoughts:

1 - either the MAC or the fileserver has memory problems. The
fileserver should be easy to check. Most distros seem to have
memory checking in there boot menus these days and if not a
live distro likely does.

2 - bad kernel/filesystem code. Unlikely if you are using a
fully patched distro kernel but you never know.

3 - bad disk. again the disk would likely detect that but you
never know. if the disk/controller has smart support try
using "smartctl" to run a selftest and look at the current
status/stats.

Either way at this point in time my first step would be to
get a full backup of you disk to an external drive until
you can get to the bottom of the problem.