[Durham] general system speed

Andrew Glass andrewglass3 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:11:14 UTC 2012

Hey guys

Just curious on peoples opinions.

I used to run Gentoo as it was very fast however, it seemed to break a lot or had ebuild issues.  So Ive therefore moved to trying a variety of distros for my little home server.

Im testing Ubuntu server at the moment however compared to Debian it feels really sluggish.  Ive recently moved over from a dual core pentium to a athlon x2 with 4gig ddr2 800. I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian however it does feel quite a bit slower than debs.

Do others find Ubuntu a bit slow?

Do you use any other distros that could be recommended for use as a headless file server?

Im very tempted to go back to Debian.  Although I am open to ideas for another distro.  My main uses for the server at the moment are;-  samba/afp, sabnzbd and http.

Cheers

Andy