[Durham] general system speed

Eddy Younger eddy at shofar.ukfsn.org
Mon Apr 9 20:28:18 UTC 2012

Andrew Glass wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Just curious on peoples opinions.
>
> I used to run Gentoo as it was very fast however, it seemed to break a lot or had ebuild issues.  So Ive therefore moved to trying a variety of distros for my little home server.
>
> Im testing Ubuntu server at the moment however compared to Debian it feels really sluggish.  Ive recently moved over from a dual core pentium to a athlon x2 with 4gig ddr2 800. I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian however it does feel quite a bit slower than debs.

Check first to see what background processes/services are running in
each case. Also, the window manager can suck up a lot of bandwidth
depending on what it is - are you running the same WM in each case? But
then, if it's a server, bring it up in runlevel 3 and dispense with the
WM if you haven't already done so.
> Do others find Ubuntu a bit slow?
>
> Do you use any other distros that could be recommended for use as a headless file server?

Slackware ?

Eddy