[Durham] Email Server

Brian Ronald brian at ppcis.org
Sun Jan 1 20:14:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 19:45:09 +0000 Andrew Glass <andrewglass3 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I currently have a horrible dynamic ip address from the beloved
> TalkTalk..Now I currently run dyndns to allow me to access my servers
> from my iPhone when I'm out and about.  I would like to run my own
> email server and wondered if this was possible using my own domain
> name and the dyndns address I use??

It is. I do this.

My home server has a DynDNS update client, fetchmail, postfix, dovecot
and roundcube. I can send emails through the secured submission port
(587) on that home server, which then takes care of sending my emails
out through the ISP's SMTP servers. I can receive emails either through
IMAPS (courtesy of Dovecot) or HTTPS (courtesy of Roundcube, which
talks to Dovecot).

Brian Ronald