[Durham] Variations of debian

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 22:30:40 UTC 2012

Andy,

On 11/07/2012 19:48, andrew wrote:
> Saying that Im considering the following distro's to have a play with next:

I use a combination of Debian Stable and Ubuntu Server depending on my
mood at time of install. Notes below.

> Fedora
> Debian Testing

I wouldn't really consider this on a server (well not on one I care too
much about anyway). I know its pretty reasonable but for production
servers I just don't want any surprises.

Debian Stable - I find this generally top notch and it works well. I've
got a few servers that have never been reinstalled in over 5 years. The
dist-upgrade mechanism works pretty well. I did have some fun upgrading
a few years ago before mounting via uuid was the norm.

Also add onto that the fact that Debian covers all sorts of wierd
architectures (Sparc and various ARM boxes) and it meets my needs pretty
well.

The only real niggle that I have with Stable is the fact that the old
stable distro is only supported for 12 months after a new one is
released. That can make it a pain for scheduling upgrades at
quiet/convenient times but for the price it is a small niggle!

> Ubuntu server 12.04
A few of the more recent installs I've done have used Ubuntu. It has
many of the upsides of Debian but also has a 5 year LTS support term and
also has 6 monthly upgrades for lesser (experimental) servers.

I have found that Ubuntu is less stable than Debian (especially on the
desktop). Some QA seems to go out of the window to meet the release
timescales but certainly with the LTS release that settles down in the
first 3 months after release.

I've been playing a lot with LXC containers on the latest Ubuntu
releases. I'm finding that they are working really well as lightweight
environments for database mirroring (live backup) and server
rsync/cloning rather than trying to shoehorn things into a OS install.

> Anyone have any preference between these and any reason for such preference?

Overally I'd go with either Debian or Ubuntu they are very similar in
day to day usage.