[Durham] Variations of debian

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 22:19:25 UTC 2012

andrew <andrewglass3 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Ive spoken to many before about distros for my home server as I like
>messing about.

[snip]

>Saying that Im considering the following distro's to have a play with
>next:
>
>Fedora
>Debian Testing
>Ubuntu server 12.04

What is this box for?

If it's a server that you want to set up and then forget about, then I'd certainly stay away from Fedora and probably Debian testing too.  Debian stable and CentOS would be obvious choices. I know nothing about Ubuntu Server, but I guess it should be okay too.

On the other hand, if your planning on using this for testing/playing around, then just try whatever you fancy, and remember to make backups in case things break.

--

- olly