[Durham] copying files from drive to drive

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Thu Jul 19 16:46:25 UTC 2012

On 19/07/2012 17:19, Andrew Glass wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> Thank you for a wonderfully detailed reply :) Much appreciated.
>
> Just to confirm, Im copying about 600gig of data to a 1tb drive. so /dev/sdb1 to /dev/filerserver/share then im going to add sdb1 to the lvm group to make a 2tb pot.

If you have about 400 gig of free space then the rsync solution might be
the best option.

mkdir /tmp/oldcontents
mount -o ro /dev/sdb1 /tmp/oldcontents
mkdir /tmp/newcontents
mount /dev/filerserver/share /tmp/newcontents
rsync -vau /tmp/oldcontents/ /tmp/newcontents

when it has finished you may find that there is a subdirectory
newcontents called oldcontents. If so then you just need to move
everything back now a level. I think (untested) that the trailing slash
on /tmp/oldcontents/ should stop that extra level getting created but I
can never remember the rules for when you should put a trailing slash in
the rsync commandline.

Richard

P.S. Don't forget to Cc all.