[Durham] Wireless router recommendations

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Sun Sep 2 18:37:53 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 17:28, Martin Ward wrote:>
 > My venerable WRT54G-TM, running Mega DD-WRT, seems to have
 > lost its wireless capability: the wireless network cannot be seen
 > by any of my wireless devices. Also the "Enable Info Site"
 > setting has started to reset itself periodically,
 > so I am looking for a replacement.
 >
 > Wireless routers seem to follow an "inverse Moore's Law"
 > in which later models have steadily *less* memory
 > than earlier ones:
 >
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
 >
 > The WRT54G-TM model (which has the most memory)
 > is becoming hard to find.
 >
 > What is a suitable replacement?

I'm running a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with OpenWrt

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h

Buffalo ship it with DD-WRT pre-installed so I think its fair to say
that it will run DD-WRT for you.

It has 64 meg RAM and 32 meg flash.

It runs Wireless N (plus B & G) well. I'm running two networks from the
one device here (a private one and a guest one that the WII and other
"untrusted" devices connect to).

The 4 lan ports can be split into separate switched VLANs so its great
for having DMZ/VoIP isolated from the rest.

Also has a USB port. I've used it with a USB 3G/GPRS dongle to provide
backup internet connection and also used it as an access point when away
from home.

The only downside is that I've had two of the devices because the first
device developed a fault where it would lose its switch programming
periodically (just outside of warranty period of course). I could reset
it by re-initialising the networking but it was a pain although I did
have a cron job that ran every 15 minutes to check.

At the moment I'm also experimenting with the Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H.
That has an ADSL2+ modem instead of a WAN ethernet port. Its still a bit
buggy with OpenWrt and isn't build as part of their regular builds. I've
built my own copy and got it running (I believe it runs DD-WRT out of
the box) but I haven't switched over to using that as a combined
firewall/ADSL modem box yet.

Oh. Nearly forgot I run a SixXS IPv6 tunnel using AICCU on box and it
works fine for IPv6 connectivity until I get a proper clueful ISP who
will do it navitely.