[Durham] Backing up and resorting a Windows7 install using Linux boot media

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 17:35:06 UTC 2013

On Monday 02 Dec 2013 at 16:18, Dougie Nisbet <dougie at highmoor.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a failing disk in a Lenovo ThinkCentre A57. It has a WD 320GB drive.
> I'm wondering whether I can boot the PC from Linux and backup the system
> using tar and restore to a different harddrive. Then try to boot the PC
> from the restored drive. All I can find is another WD but a 250GB one.
> What's my chances of success? Would a re-install be  easier? I thought of
> dd too but I'm guessing that the drives would have to be the same size.

I have used ntfsclone to save a partition to a compressed file
and restore it again: both to the same disk and to a new disk.
In the latter case, I just created a slightly larger partition to restore to
(since I couldn't remember the exact size of the original).
The actual disk was much larger than the partition.

--
			Martin

Dr Martin Ward STRL Principal Lecturer and Reader in Software Engineering
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc