[Durham] Backing up and resorting a Windows7 install using Linux boot media

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 19:40:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 02/12/2013 19:07, Dougie Nisbet wrote:

> On 2 December 2013 17:31, Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk
> <mailto:richm at oldelvet.org.uk>> wrote:
>     On 02/12/2013 16:18, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
>
>         I have a failing disk in a Lenovo ThinkCentre A57. It has a WD 320GB
>         drive.
>
>     How "failing" is the disk? It might be easier to resize before moving.
>

> good question - possibly more failing than I first realised. Windows
> reports SMART error BAD disk on boot then makes a half-assed boot anyway
> that occasionally gets as far as login.
It isn't clear just how "valuable" the data is on the existing drive.
You did mention a re-install so maybe you'd live with losing it. But
just in case it has something that you care about I hear a lot of good
things about SpinRite, https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

At the very least it might recover the drive enough to get data off of
it if it becomes that bad. It won't help if the rust stops spinning but
it tries real hard to get stuff recovered.

I don't have a copy myself and have never used it. Not sure if any other
LUGers have a copy that you might be able to use if the worst happens.