[Durham] Holding packages from being updated

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 08:25:00 UTC 2014

This thread prompted me to do some research over the weekend because I
occasionally use "aptitude hold" or "aptitude forbid-version". I'd
always assumed that the apt/dpkg hold databases were the same as the one
used by aptitude. But it seems that they are not.

So an "aptitude hold" will stop "aptitude upgrade" from doing an upgrade
but will not stop "apt-get upgrade" from upgrading that package.

I guess that explains why the Ubuntu Software Updater keeps trying to
suggest that I want to apply the packages that I've held/forbidden.

I myself haven't tried the apt-mark hold command Neil suggests below but
I did try

echo "openswan hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections

and that stopped apt-get from trying to update the package.

Note. forbid-version is quite neat it allows you to prevent a
particular, typically buggy, version of a package being installed but
when a later version of that package is installed it will allow that and
subsequent versions. Shame it only applies to aptitude and not to apt-get!

Richard