[Durham] Holding packages from being updated

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 13:15:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 14/07/2014 13:55, Dougie Nisbet wrote:

> On 14 July 2014 09:24, Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk
> <mailto:richm at oldelvet.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     So an "aptitude hold" will stop "aptitude upgrade" from doing an
>     upgrade but will not stop "apt-get upgrade" from upgrading that package.
>

> Recently, and only on 'testing' I think, I've started getting the
> slightly intriguing  ...
>
> root at skye:~# apt-get upgrade dist-upgrade
That isn't the correct commandline usage!

"upgrade" and "dist-upgrade" are two separate operations. You only need
to supply one of them.

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... E: Unable to locate package dist-upgrade
Maybe "upgrade" now takes a package name or something like that whereas
before it just did both operations.

> which I haven't been worrying about unduly as I probably shouldn't be
> dist-upgraging as recklessly as I tend to.

I always use dist-upgrade. I probably shouldn't but I try to always
sanity check what it will do and "I haven't been bitten yet"(tm)!

Cheers