[Durham] BT Openreach Fibre modem

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 13:06:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 10/03/2014 12:36, Andrew Glass wrote:
> Therefore this weekend, when I was moving furniture I brought my bt
> openreach modem from Durham down and tried it.  I flashed it with the
> new SP10 modded firmware and I can access the web console on lan2.  Its
> shows its connected but is on completely different ips than what the
> homhub5 will give and as such I have no internet access.
>
> The modem will show that its connected with sync speeds of 120 down and
> 40 up, but completely different ip gateway and dns.

I think you need to setup the username/password for the connection.
Broadband works by setting up a PPP session over the underlying modem
connection. Your username and password is used by the BT end of the
connection to route the connection to the appropriate ISP.

I haven't had the misfortune to use a homehub but maybe you could
investigate whether the hub would do PPPoE and that way you could use a
separate router as the PPP endpoint with the HH as just a modem. That
might not work with HH but I'm pretty sure it works with the other BT
modems (see Installation and Technical at
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-FC.html )

> Does anyone have any ideas about either getting the modem functioning
> correctly? Or should I try buying one off ebay that has been connected
> to a bt service rather than talktalk.  Or can you recommend a different
> brand of router that would work for me with the modem built in please?
I think you'll end up with the same problem it will need the correct
username/password to make the actual service work. I've tried plugging
my own modem/router into another socket and it all just worked and
routed correctly. Of course if the other line is with a different
"unbundled" provider that doesn't use the BT backhaul then that wouldn't
work!

Good luck.