[Durham] any volunteers for an installfest / skill-share?

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 16:35:28 UTC 2014

On 21/03/14 15:05, mark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It was great to meet you on Tuesday evening.
>
> I've been thinking for a while about getting some sort of community
> project going in Durham, with a primary aim of helping people to get
> started with Linux using unwanted old desktops & laptops.
>
> I did this when I used to live in Leeds and it worked pretty well; the
> necessary ingredients being a room in a community centre (or anywhere
> really) with decent wifi, a handfull of volunteers who would enjoy
> liberating windows users for a few hours, a bunch of installation
> media (perhaps offering a choice depending on different use-cases /
> age of hardware) and a bit of social media plus traditional forms of
> publicity to get to the target audience.
>
> This seems like an ideal time to do it, with WinXP nearing the end of
> its life, people wondering if they can afford a new machine just
> because the OS is dying, not to mention the increase in awareness of
> privacy and security issues due to Snowden, etc.
>
> So, who wants to join in? Has anyone tried this kind of thing around
> here before?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
Hi Mark,

Please count me in as well. I am currently unable to get to most Tuesday
night LUG meetings but would be interested in helping with your project.
I consider myself and enthusiastic but not an expert user. I have
recently taken early retirement so may be available during 'normal
office hours'. I currently live near Durham but will be moving to
Spennymoor in the summer.

Regards,
Barry Titterton