[Durham] Small graphics issue with Nvidia drivers

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 18:55:53 UTC 2014

On 31/03/14 17:11, Barry Titterton wrote:

> The problem is when I start the machine, after the BIOS text screen, the
> screen now goes black with only the following two lines of text on the
> screen:-
>
> Ubuntu 13.10 <name> tty1
> <name> login:
>
> (Where <name> is the ID of the machine)
>
> I then wait for approx 30 seconds, without touching the keyboard, and
> the machine will eventually go to the normal log-in screen. I can then
> log-in to Unity as normal, and everything works fine.

It sounds like some operation is timing out: eg detecting hardware,
mounting a drive or something.

The log file (usually /var/log/messages) should tell you where
in the boot process the pause occurred and which operation timed out.

--
			Martin

Dr Martin Ward STRL Principal Lecturer & Reader in Software Engineering
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc