[Durham] Software Freedom Day [was: Re: a piece for the blog: what inspires you in the FLOSS world?]

mark mark at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 5 08:21:33 UTC 2014

On 19/08/14 23:51, mark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those who weren't there, we had a play with etherpad [1] this
> evening, partly so I could have a play with node.js [2] and partly
> so we could try writing something together on the LAN.
>
> We got a few ideas down, but it's not ready to publish yet so I
> thought I should move it somewhere [3] a bit more solid than my
> laptop, so people who weren't there can have a chance to
> contribute.
>
> The idea is to write something about what inspires you about
> FLOSS; the target audience is whoever reads the nelug blog [4].
>
> So go ahead and edit; here's the link again:
> http://piratepad.net/0FjDbClgpj

September 20th is Software Freedom Day [5] and I want for us to do
something about it, pardon my grammar.

It seems like a neat result would be to finish off this collaborative
blog post thingy, then we can all distribute links to it in our social
media channels, or wherever.

What I'm asking is that anyone who feels inspired by any part of the
free software world anytime between now and our next meeting jots a
note into the etherpad [3], then when we meet on 16th of this month we
(anyone who wants to) can form it up into prose, grab a few CC-BY-SA
graphics to illustrate it, and bang it up on the wordpress site FTW.

Be inspired!
Mark

PS: OT: local python study group starting v. soon [6]

PS: OT: we're just waiting for confimation of venue before planning a
crypto event in October - there is enough interest on this list and
elsewhere

[5] http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/FrontPage
[6] https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/dfs3/2014-September/thread.html