[Durham] up-cycled laptops now available from re-pute.it

mark mark at re-pute.it
Sun Nov 22 18:32:25 UTC 2015

Hi DFS3 and NELUG,

Tomorrow is the first day of trading for my new social enterprise, which
would not have been possible without your help. Thanks!

Many of you folks will already have worked out how to use Linux for your
personal computing needs. What I'm offering now is mostly aimed at
people who either found it too difficult or just 'not fun' to do it
themselves.

I'm offering a single model to start with, a thinkpad X200s with Mint
17.2 Mate installed & configured. For £100 you get this, a working
battery and power supply, and 6 months membership of a monthly club
meeting in Alington House, North Bailey.

Here's how you can help now:

1] if you know anyone who's about to spend lots of money on a fancy new
laptop, just to browse the web and do simple tasks, please tell them
about re-pute.it  - especially if they're getting into debt or getting
ripped off by someone like BrightHouse.

2] if you know of any noticeboards (for example in schools, colleges,
workplaces, cafes, shops) in Durham, which I haven't got to yet, please
print off the attached poster (it should look fine at A4 or A5) and
display it

3] for those of you who are already proficient at using Linux-based PCs,
would you like to volunteer to help at some of the club meetings? You
don't need to be an expert, just a proficient user, and I hope to be
able to cover your bus fare and a cup of tea. The provisional dates are
below (all 11AM-2PM):
 - Saturday Jan 9th 2016
 - Saturday Feb 6th 2016
 - Saturday March 5th 2016
 - and so on, first Saturday of the month.

4] if you know any professionals or volunteers who work with people who
would benefit from this kind of thing, please let them have a copy of
this email / poster.

Thank you all so much :)

Cheers,
Mark