[Durham] Help

A Pearson a.pearsonx at zen.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 18:51:53 UTC 2016

Jonathon

Thanks for the prompt reply so far.
It does not seem to be the boot that's the problem as It opens up as far as the scenic pictures that form the Mint desktop.  Its just when I try to log on in the boxes after that when the User Name and Password are rejected so we are not far off actually running.  I should have said that I do not suspect the keyboard as the same happened using the on screen virtual keyboard with the mouse so its not a key change problem.  Password comprises upper and lower case and numerals for strength

I am not sure if you are talking of Knoppix just as a boot loader as I knew of it as a Distro which I think I tried many years back (but did not install) along with SUSE,  Mandrake,  and Ubuntu.
You are correct in that it is on one single partition taking up the whole disk  but Linux automatically split this into two. It is a 1TB SATA so there is no master and slave but is the first disk when it comes to running the Linux. There is no other Linux working operating system on that disk just the one we are referring to.  All the Linux files are installed on the hard disk so I assume we are past the USB live booting stage. The installation file was an ISO which Linux Format said could be used exactly as it was without further burning to an image and it seemed to go in smoothly. I did get a quick flash of a screen with a line mentioning Grub somewhere along the line, possibly not on the current install but did not have time to take note and I was not interested in using it. Linux was loaded with only one HDD in circuit so as  anything that came with Linux such as any bootloader was not on the Windows disc.
Thanks for your help

Alan