[Durham] Help

A Pearson a.pearsonx at zen.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 19:14:46 UTC 2016

Hi Jonathon

In my reply to Barry I may have forgotten to tell him I now have it working  so I hope he reads this.
After many frustrated attempts I took your advice and used a simple single case password although it was against my security instincts and it is now working from yet another install.
I had checked out that the keyboard was outputting correctly and that I made no mistakes with case. So I cannot pinpoint a definate cause but it now works with auto logon selected as someone suggested.  Another security weakness I suppose.

I had taken what it said on the label that the LXF disk was ready to run and clicked the install from the live distro there.
However I since wondered if this was correct as years ago one had to burn iso's on those discs to images. I wondered if I had done right so I burnt an image from the ISO and used this for a new install
I had earlier tried Ctr_Alt_ F2 and also using  F1.  This allowed Username entry in a text screen but not Password as characters did not show.  So no go.The other things I tried were using the shift key at boot to try and access Grub but all I got was a blank screen so that was no way to access and change passwords.  Obviously these comments are abreviated.

So this is a potted history but it is now working together with a KVM switch to my main internet computer.
Thanks to all who took time to help.

Regards
Alan